The 2018-2019 TAP International Essay Contest
The 2018 Essay Contest is now closed. Watch this space for the winning entries!
TAP is pleased to invite middle and high school students to participate in our 2018 Annual International Essay Contest; the deadline is December 15, 2018. The winners will be notified in 2019, and winning entries will be posted on our website. This contest is open to all students enrolled in grades 5 through 12, including students from private and public schools as well as home-schooled students.
The Contest Question:
Have you ever considered how important food is to us beyond just keeping us alive? Food is embedded within our culture; our food choices say a lot about who we are. The manner in which we select, prepare, and consume food is based upon culturally learned notions of taste, nutrition, social regulations, and religious meaning. Research a culture different from your own and write an essay about the following:
How do people from a national, ethnic, or religious background different from your own prepare, use, and eat food? If you were inviting some guests from that culture to your home, what would you need to know to respect their customs?
Please cite your sources and please do not use Wikipedia.
Middle School entries (grades 5-8):
Entries must not exceed 750 words, must be typed, must be clearly organized, and must answer all parts of the question.
High School entries (grades 9-12):
Entries must not exceed 1,000 words, must be typed, must be clearly organized, and must answer all parts of the question.
Criteria: For contact purposes only, all students must include their name, home address, contact phone number, school name, school location, and grade. Also include an e-mail address, if available.*
- Entries will become the property of TAP.
- Essays may be submitted in Word or text format or scanned in as PDF files. Please include your name in the filename (e.g., "Jane Doe--TAP.doc").
- Entries should be emailed to email@example.com (middle school) or firstname.lastname@example.org (high school) by December 15, 2018, and must be accompanied by this Contest Entry Form.
- Please indicate in the subject line "Middle school essay contest" or "High school essay contest."
- If Internet access is not available, entries must be postmarked by December 15 and mailed to:
Teachers Against Prejudice
381 Long Hill Road
Wallingford, CT 06492
Prizes: First, second, and third place prizes will be awarded in each age group:
(Prizes of comparable value will be awarded for those who reside outside of the United States.)
Based on previous results, we anticipate a good response and want to make sure that your students are included in this timely, relevant discussion.
TAP reserves the right to copy and modify any entry for reproduction. Entries will become the property of TAP.